Ahmed Rashid/Related Articles
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- See also changes related to Ahmed Rashid, or pages that link to Ahmed Rashid or to this page or whose text .
- Central Asia : A geographic area with many definitions, one common one based on the newly independent, predominantly Muslim republics of the former Soviet Union
- Afghanistan : A Islamic republic in Central Asia, with an unstable but elected government; borders China, Iran, Pakistan, Uzbekistan, Tajikistan, Turkmenistan
- Taliban : Salafist Islamic militia, governing Afghanistan 1996–2001; still fighting in Pakistan and Afghanistan.
- Afghanistan War (2001-) : Beginning on October 7, 2001, in response to the 9-11 attacks, military operations against the Taliban and al-Qaeda by United States and NATO forces
- Pakistan : Country in southern Asia, established as a Muslim state split from India in 1947, bordering the Arabian Sea to the south, India to the east, Iran and Afghanistan to the west, and China to the north.
- Federally Administered Tribal Area : Add brief definition or description
- Inter-Services Intelligence : The military intelligence and covert action organization of Pakistan; historically contained strong Islamist elements but also concerned with India-Pakistan security issues
- Jaish-e-Mohammed : A Pakistani jihadist group focused on Kashmir; formed with assistance of Inter-Services Intelligence; listed as a terrorist organization by the United States
- Pervez Musharraf : Former President and Chief of Army Staff in Pakistan, who seized power in a bloodless 1999 coup.
- Taliban in Pakistan : Activities of the Taliban movement to take political control of parts of Pakistan, rather than using Pakistan as a sanctuary to operate in Afghanistan
- Tajikistan : Bordered by Afghanistan, Iran, Kazakhstan and Uzbekistan, a landlocked, predominantly Muslim, nation of Central Asia, formerly part of the Soviet Union
- Uzbekistan : Previously part of the Soviet Union, a landlocked, predominantly Muslim nation of Central Asia, with Afghanistan, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Tajikistan and Turkmenistan as neighbors