< PompeiiJump to navigation Jump to search
- Ancient Rome : The most powerful empire of the ancient world.
- Roman Empire : The period from the ascension of Augustus Caesar to the fall of the Empire.
- Campania : A region of southern Italy, covering about 5,250 square miles.
- Bay of Naples : A bay on the west coast of Italy.
- Hercules : In Greek mythology, the son of Zeus and Alcmene, a hero of exceptional strength and resourcefulness, eventually granted immortality.
- Mount Vesuvius : Active stratovolcano 4,200 ft (1,281 m) high, of southern Italy on the eastern shore of the Bay of Naples, with the last major eruption occurring in 1944.
- Volcano : A peak on the Earth's crust — usually near or on the boundaries between continental plates — through which lava and gases have erupted.