Sathya Sai Baba/Catalogs
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Number of adherents
There estimated number of adherents worldwide varies depending on the source. Below is a representative sample of some of the more recent figures.
- Nagel reports the following estimates:
- Beyerstein (1992:3): 6 million;
- Riti & Theodore (1993:31): 30 million;
- Sluizer (1993:19): 70 million;
- Van Dijk (1993:30) "between 50 and 100 million.";
- Adherents.com cite George Chryssides, Exploring New Religions. London, U.K.: Cassells (1999) with 10 million.
- Brown writes "The guru Sai Baba has left India only once, yet his devotees across the world are estimated at up to 50 million."
- Edwards writes "venerated by hundreds of millions in India and abroad"
- Nagel, Alexandra (1994), The Sai Paradox contradictions of and surrounding Sathya Sai Baba, Religious movements in the Netherlands, 'Cults/Sects', Free University of Amsterdam, ISBN 90-5383-341-2
- Adherents.com host a data base with "adherent statistics and congregation statistics for over 4,200 religions"
- Brown, Mick. Divine Downfall, Daily Telegraph, 2000-10-28. Retrieved on 2007-03-12.
- Edwards, Linda (2001). A Brief Guide to Beliefs, Ideas, Theologies, Mysteries, and Movements. ISBN 0-664-22259-5.