Removed note for editors
Notes for editors:
This article must be re-edited every year because situation in the Aral Zone is changing very fast.
Please insert any high resolution satellite image for 20007+.
This sort of note belongs only on the talk page, not in the article. --Larry Sanger 23:43, 2 June 2007 (CDT)
Is "Aral Ecological Disaster Zone" in common use in Russian? (What is the Russian phrase, please?)
What's the source for the image? This information is required, or we cannot use the map. I'm also puzzled at the discrepancy between the image and what can be viewed for example at this Google map. --Larry Sanger 23:43, 2 June 2007 (CDT)
- The images, being unsourced for too long, have been deleted. Somehow these made it under the radar screen a while. Stephen Ewen 09:59, 12 November 2007 (CST)
Could someone who feels so motivated please put this into proper paragraphs, and of course remove the enormous image from the article page? --Larry Sanger 00:31, 2 April 2009 (UTC)
This section is brought over from the article's main page, since its formatting and phrasing are in need of repair. --Daniel Mietchen 09:14, 31 July 2009 (UTC)
Arask Railway Station is the main Northern gateway to the Aral Ecological Disaster Zone.
There are serious health problems for tourists and the local population, caused by airborne toxic chemicals exposed to the wind by the retreating waters, and from the physical and biological agents.
February, 1956: Aralsk ground-level atomic explosion
1957-1991: Open-air testing of biological weapons
(1960) > 100,000 (including tourist)
(2007) < 40,000.
Aralsk was formerly a fishing port of the Aral Sea, and was a major supplier of fish to the neighboring region. Like the town of Moynaq to the south of the sea, it now has discarded rusting fishing boats sitting on what used to be the seabed.
Visitors are advised not to eat the fish that come from the contaminated lakes, ponds and salt pans, which are poisonous. They are also advised to bring with them all water needed for personal use, and not to depend on masks or air filters.
Tourists are advised to leave Aralsk as soon as possible, before any wind, gale or dust devils start.
- WEATHER TODAY and forecast: 
- Погода в г. Аральск: 
- Climate and views today. Do not use any maps from this site. For this region they always were "secret", mainly because of their poor quality. The main source of data = satellite pictures. 
- Aral Ecological Disaster Zone.
- Aral intercontinental disaster zone.
- Open-air testing of biological weapons. 
- CHEMICAL AND RADIATION EFFECTS ON CHILDREN IN ARAL. 
- Aral 2007.Google Maps are COMPOSITIONs and could be 5 years old.
- Aral 2008.Do not use satellite pictures, published or damped on Internet. see: http://glovis.usgs.gov/
- Aral 2009.Only satellite data < 1year old are of some value. See: