From Citizendium
Jump to navigation Jump to search
This article is developing and not approved.
Main Article
Related Articles  [?]
Bibliography  [?]
External Links  [?]
Citable Version  [?]
To learn how to update the categories for this article, see here. To update categories, edit the metadata template.
 Definition Bodies of flowing ice that form when more snow accumulates each year than melts. [d] [e]
Checklist and Archives
 Workgroup categories Geography and Earth Sciences [Categories OK]
 Talk Archive none  English language variant Not specified

External links

I added some external links from supposedly autoritative sites. We must add some lines of comments to explain what the links are for, sooner or later... --Nereo Preto 03:56, 6 October 2007 (CDT)

Yeah, sounds good. Looks like you found quite a few good sites. Hopefully we can use some as references in the article. Benjamin Seghers 04:19, 6 October 2007 (CDT)
The best ones are surely ok as references. USGS should be a guarantee of quality. --Nereo Preto 04:49, 6 October 2007 (CDT)
How about some titles for these external links? --Robert W King 15:50, 7 October 2007 (CDT)

major types of glaciers

Originally, I had written there are two major types of glaciers, which are valley glaciers and continental glaciers. Dr. Preto later changed this to valley glaciers and ice caps. However, by definition, the ice caps of Greenland and Antarctica are considered continental glaciers (which also includes more inland glaciers, such as the Laurentide ice sheetor today's Barnes Ice Cap). I would personally favor using continental glaciers if there in fact little distinction between the two. Benjamin Seghers 14:40, 7 October 2007 (CDT)

Go ahead with a reference! I did the change without reading any specialistic definition, so I might well be wrong. My goal was just to have a direct link to the non-yet existing priority article Ice cap. --Nereo Preto 01:28, 8 October 2007 (CDT)
The first ones I got from a simple Google search was ("An ice cap (continental glacier)"), ("Ice caps are actually small ice sheet," and "[an ice sheet is] also called continental glacier"), and Wikipedia ("Antarctica and Greenland are the only places where continental ice sheets currently exist"). Benjamin Seghers 02:10, 8 October 2007 (CDT)